- The definition of compelling is someone or something extremely attractive or interesting.
An example of compelling is a novel with a plot and characters that are so intriguing that you don't want to stop reading.
compelling definition by Webster's New World
- that compels
- irresistibly or keenly interesting, attractive, etc.; captivating: a compelling drama
- compellingly adverb
compelling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Urgently requiring attention: a host of compelling socioeconomic problems.
- Drivingly forceful: compelling ambition and egotism.
Variant of compel
- to force or constrain, as to do something
- to get or bring about by force
- Archaic to gather or drive together by force, as a flock
Origin: Middle English compellen ; from Old French compellir ; from Classical Latin compellere ; from com-, together plush pellere, to drive: see felt