- The definition of exacting is making excessive demands, or requiring great patience and effort.
- An example of something exacting is a toddler’s needy behavior.
- An example of something exacting is the attention that is needed to fix a difficult problem at work.
exacting definition by Webster's New World
- making severe or excessive demands; not easily satisfied; strict: an exacting teacher
- demanding great care, patience, effort, etc.; arduous: an exacting job
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- exactingly adverb
exacting definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Making severe demands; rigorous: an exacting instructor.
- Requiring great care, effort, or attention: an exacting task. See Synonyms at burdensome.
- ex·actˈing·ly adverb
- ex·actˈing·ness noun