- When you are forced to act, this is an example of a time when you are compelled to act.
- When you require someone to attend a meeting, this is an example of a time when you compelled him to attend.
The definition of compelled means forced to do something, or that you forced someone to do something.
- simple past tense and past participle of compel
Variant of compel
transitive verbcompelled, compelling
- to force or constrain, as to do something
- to get or bring about by force
- Archaic to gather or drive together by force, as a flock
Origin of compelMiddle English compellen ; from Old French compellir ; from Classical Latin compellere ; from com-, together + pellere, to drive: see felt