- The definition of food is nourishment taken into the body.
An example of food is chicken parmigiana.
This chicken parmigiana is food.
food definition by Webster's New World
- any substance taken into and assimilated by a plant or animal to keep it alive and enable it to grow and repair tissue; nourishment; nutriment
- solid substances of this sort
- a specified kind of food
- anything that nourishes or stimulates; whatever helps something to keep active, grow, etc.: food for thought
Origin: Middle English fode ; from Old English foda ; from Indo-European pāt-, to feed, eat ; from base an unverified form pā-, to pasture cattle from source Classical Latin pastor, pabulum, pascere, to feed, panis, bread
- of or relating to food
- used as food
food definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
- A specified kind of nourishment: breakfast food; plant food.
- Nourishment eaten in solid form: food and drink.
- Something that nourishes or sustains in a way suggestive of physical nourishment: food for thought; food for the soul.
Origin: Middle English fode, from Old English fōda; see pā- in Indo-European roots.
food - Medical Definition