omnivorous[äm niv′ə rəs]
- The definition of omnivorous is feeding on both plants and meat or taking anything available.
A person who eats both vegetables and meat is an example of someone who is omnivorous.
- eating any sort of food, esp. both animal and vegetable food
- taking in everything indiscriminately, as with the intellect: an omnivorous reader
Origin of omnivorousClassical Latin omnivorus: see omni- and amp; -vorous
- Eating food of any kind, including animals and plants.
- Taking in everything available, as with the mind: an omnivorous reader.
Origin of omnivorousFrom Latin omnivorus : omni-, omni- + -vorus, -vorous.
From the Latin omni, all and -vore.