- The definition of carnivorous is an animal that eats the meat of other animals, or a plant that traps and digests insects or other small animals.
- A person who eats meat is an example of someone who would be described as carnivorous.
- A Venus Fly Trap is an example of a carnivorous plant.
The Venus Fly Trap is a carnivorous plant.
carnivorous definition by Webster's New World
- insect-eating, as certain plants
- of the carnivores
Origin: Classical Latin carnivorus ; from caro, flesh (see harvest) plush vorare, to devour (see voracious)
carnivorous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of or relating to carnivores.
- Flesh-eating or predatory: a carnivorous bird.
- Characterized by destructive or predatory behavior or instincts: “a city becoming increasingly carnivorous as it becomes decreasingly serious about governance” (George F. Will).
- Botany Capable of trapping insects or other small organisms and absorbing nutrients from them; insectivorous.
Origin: From Latin carnivorus : carō, carn-, flesh; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots + -vorus, -vorous.
- car·nivˈo·rous·ly adverb
- car·nivˈo·rous·ness noun