vegetarian[vej′ə ter′ē ən]
A vegetarian eats no meat.
- The definition of vegetarian is something that has no meat or that is related to the absence of meat.
Lasagna with only veggies and no meat is an example of vegetarian lasagna.
- A vegetarian is someone who eats exclusively fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts and no meat or, in some cases, no animal products at all.
A person who believes eating animals is cruel and who thus eats no meat is an example of a vegetarian.
Origin of vegetarianveget(able) + -arian
- of vegetarians or vegetarianism
- consisting only of vegetables, fruits, etc.
- Of or relating to vegetarianism or vegetarians.
- Consisting primarily or wholly of vegetables or plants: a vegetarian diet.
Origin of vegetarianveget(able) + –arian.
(comparative more vegetarian, superlative most vegetarian)
- Of or relating to the type of diet eaten by vegetarians (in all senses).
- Of a product normally made with meat, having non-meat substitutes in place of meat.
- (of a person) That does not eat meat.
- I have a vegetarian brother
vegetable +"Ž -arian; popularized following 1847 foundation of British Vegetarian Society. (Alternatively, it may derive from vegetus +"Ž -arian.)