- The definition of rapacious is to want more money or possessions than needed.
An example of a rapacious person is someone who constantly tries to get more money or real estate.
- taking by force; plundering
- greedy or grasping; voracious
- living on captured prey; predatory
Origin: from Classical Latin rapax (gen. rapacis) from rapere, to seize (see rape) plush -ous
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Taking by force; plundering.
- Greedy; ravenous. See Synonyms at voracious.
- Subsisting on live prey.
Origin: From Latin rapāx, rapāc-, from rapere, to seize; see rep- in Indo-European roots.
- ra·paˈcious·ly adverb
- ra·pacˈi·ty , ra·paˈcious·ness noun