- The definition of rapacious is to want more money or possessions than needed.
An example of a rapacious person is someone who constantly tries to get more money or real estate.
- taking by force; plundering
- greedy or grasping; voracious
- living on captured prey; predatory
Origin of rapacious; from Classical Latin rapax (gen. rapacis) ; from rapere, to seize (see rape) + -ous
- Having or showing a strong or excessive desire to acquire money or possess things; greedy: “dishonest utilities and rapacious energy traders” (Paul Roberts).
- Living by killing prey, especially in large numbers: rapacious coyotes.
- Taking things by force; plundering: rapacious pirates.
Origin of rapaciousFrom Latin rapāx, rapāc-, from rapere, to seize; see rep- in Indo-European roots.
- ra·pac′i·ty , ra·pa′cious·ness
(comparative more rapacious, superlative most rapacious)
- The use of this term for animals other than birds is dated.