- a biennial plant (Brassica rapa) of the crucifer family, with edible, hairy leaves and a roundish, light-colored, fleshy root used as a vegetable
- the root of either of these plants
- Slang a pocket watch
Origin of turnipearlier turnep, probably from turn or French tour, in the sense of “turned, round” + Middle English nepe from Old English næp, turnip from Classical Latin napus
- A widely cultivated Eurasian plant (Brassica rapa) of the mustard family, having a large rounded edible whitish root and edible leaves.
- The root of this plant, eaten as a vegetable.
- Chiefly Northeast US A rutabaga.
Origin of turniptur- of unknown origin English dialectal nepe turnip ( from Middle English) ( from Old English nǣp ) ( from Latin nāpus )
white egg turnips