- An example of a vitta is a blue streak on a bird's bill.
- An example of a vitta is an place on a carrot where oil can collect.
The definition of a vitta is a stripe or line of a color or an oil tube in the fruit of certain plants such as parsley, turnip and carrot.
- Biol. a band or streak of color
- Bot. an oil-bearing canal in the pericarp of the fruits of some dicotyledonous plants, as of a plant of the umbel family
Origin of vittaModern Latin from L, headband, fillet, akin to viere, to tie, vitis, vine: see withe
- Zoology A streak or band of color, as on the bill of a bird.
- Botany An oil tube in the fruit of certain plants, especially those in the parsley family.
Origin of vittaLatin headband, ribbon ; see wei- in Indo-European roots.