- The definition of voracious is someone or something very greedy or eager.
An example of voracious is a person eating three servings more than anyone else at a dinner party.
- greedy in eating; devouring or eager to devour large quantities of food; ravenous; gluttonous
- very greedy or eager in some desire or pursuit; insatiable: a voracious reader
Origin: L vorax (gen. voracis), greedy to devour from vorare, to devour from Indo-European base an unverified form gwer-, to devour, gorge from source Glassical Greek bora, food (of carnivorous beasts), Classical Latin gurges, gorge
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Consuming or eager to consume great amounts of food; ravenous.
- Having or marked by an insatiable appetite for an activity or pursuit; greedy: a voracious reader.
Origin: From Latin vorāx, vorāc-, from vorāre, to swallow, devour.
- vo·raˈcious·ly adverb
- vo·racˈi·ty , vo·raˈcious·ness noun