This man is ravenous.
- The definition of ravenous is extremely hungry or famished.
When you are so hungry you can eat an entire pizza, this is an example of a situation where you would be described as ravenous.
- greedily or wildly hungry; voracious or famished
- very eager for gratification: ravenous for praise
- very rapacious
Origin of ravenousMiddle English ravynous ; from Old French ravinos ; from ravine: see raven
- Extremely hungry or characterized by extreme hunger; voracious: missed lunch and was ravenous by dinnertime.
- Predatory or ferocious in predation: ravenous lions.
- Eager for gratification or extremely desirous: “I'm ravenous for news, any kind of news” (Margaret Atwood).
Origin of ravenousMiddle English, from Old French ravineux, from raviner, to take by force, from Vulgar Latin *rapīnāre, from Latin rapīna, plunder; see rapine.
(comparative more ravenous, superlative most ravenous)
Borrowing from Old French ravineus.