- The definition of ravenous is extremely hungry or famished.
When you are so hungry you can eat an entire pizza, this is an example of a situation where you would be described as ravenous.
This man is ravenous.
ravenous definition by Webster's New World
- greedily or wildly hungry; voracious or famished
- very eager for gratification: ravenous for praise
- very rapacious
Origin: Middle English ravynous ; from Old French ravinos ; from ravine: see raven
ravenous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Extremely hungry; voracious.
- Rapacious; predatory.
- Greedy for gratification: ravenous for power. See Synonyms at voracious.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French ravineux, from raviner, to take by force, from Vulgar Latin *rapīnāre, from Latin rapīna, plunder; see rapine.
- ravˈen·ous·ly adverb
- ravˈen·ous·ness noun