- The definition of raven is something that is shiny and black.
An example of something raven is black hair.
- Raven is defined as a large black bird with a straight and sharp beak.
A large crow is an example of a raven.
Origin of ravenMiddle English ; from Old English hræfn, akin to Old Norse hrafn, German rabe ; from Indo-European echoic base an unverified form ker-, an unverified form kor-, imitative of harsh sounds from source Classical Greek korax, Classical Latin corvus, raven: so named from its cry
- to devour greedily
- Obsolete to seize forcibly
Origin of ravenOld French raviner ; from ravine ; from Classical Latin rapina, rapine
- to prowl hungrily; search for prey or plunder
- to devour food or prey greedily
- to have a voracious appetite
- A large bird (Corvus corax) of the Northern Hemisphere, having black plumage and a croaking cry.
- Any of several similar birds of the genus Corvus, found in Africa, Australia, and southwestern North America.
Origin of ravenMiddle English, from Old English hræfn.
verbrav·ened, rav·en·ing, rav·ens
- To consume greedily; devour.
- To seek or seize as prey or plunder.
- To seek or seize prey or plunder.
- To eat ravenously.
Origin of ravenFrom Middle English ravin, raven, rapine, plunder, prey; see ravin.
- Of the color of the raven; jet-black
- raven curls
- raven darkness
- She was a tall, sophisticated, raven-haired beauty.
From Old English hrÃ¦fn, from Proto-Germanic *hrabnaz (compare Dutch raaf, German Rabe, Danish ravn), from Proto-Indo-European *á¸±orhâ‚‚- (compare Middle Irish crÃº, Latin corvus, Lithuanian Å¡Ã¡rka (â€œmagpieâ€), Serbo-Croatian svrÈka â€˜id.â€™, Ancient Greek ÎºÏŒÏÎ±Î¾ (kÃ³rax)), from *á¸±er, *á¸±or (compare Latin crepare â€˜to creak, crackâ€™, Sanskrit ká¹›ÌpatÄ“).
(third-person singular simple present ravens, present participle ravening, simple past and past participle ravened)
From Old French raviner (â€œrush, seize by forceâ€), itself from ravine (â€œrapineâ€), from Latin rapina (â€œplundering, lootâ€), itself from rapere (â€œseize, plunder, abductâ€)
- A female given name for a girl with raven hair, used since the 1970s.