- Ebony is defined as a very dark black color, or a dark wood from a tropical persimmon tree, or any tree that yields this defined as dark wood.
- A very dark black kitchen counter is an example of ebony.
- Furniture made from a tropical persimmon tree is an example of ebony.
A statue made of ebony.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- the hard, heavy, dark, durable wood of any of various trees, esp. of a group of persimmons native to tropical Africa, Asia, and Sri Lanka: it is used for furniture and decorative woodwork
- any tree that yields this wood
Origin: Middle English ebenif ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin ebenius ; from ebenus: see ebon
- made of ebony
- like ebony, esp. in color; dark or black
- designating a family (Ebenaceae, order Ebenales) of dicotyledonous tropical trees and shrubs, including the persimmon
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. eb·on·ies
- Any of various tropical Asian or African trees of the genus Diospyros.
- The wood of such a tree, especially the hard black heartwood of D. ebenum or certain other species, used in cabinetwork and inlaying and for piano keys.
- The hard dark wood of various other trees.
- The color black; ebon.
- Made of or suggesting ebony.
- Black in color.
Origin: Probably from Middle English hebenyf, ebony wood, from alteration of Late Latin hebeninus, of ebony, from Greek ebeninos, from ebenos, ebony tree, from Egyptian hbny.