- the hard, brownish-red wood of a tropical tree (Haematoxylon campechianum) of the caesalpinia family, native to Central America and the West Indies: it is a source of hematoxylin and other dyes
- this tree, having thorny branches and small, yellow flowers
- a dye extracted from the wood of this tree
Origin of logwoodso called from being imported in logs
- A spiny tropical American tree (Haematoxylum campechianum) in the pea family, having dark heartwood from which a dyestuff is obtained.
- The heartwood of this tree.
- The purplish-red dye obtained from the heartwood of this tree.