- The definition of wood is something made out of the layer right under a tree's bark.
An example of wood used as an adjective is the phrase "wood chair," which means a chair made out of the layer under the bark of a tree.
- Wood is defined as the layer below the bark on a tree or an item made with this material.
- An example of wood is what is right under a tree's bark.
- An example of wood is a wine barrel used to make wine.
wood definition by Webster's New World
- a thick growth of trees; forest or grove
- the hard, fibrous substance beneath the bark in the stems and branches of trees and shrubs; xylem
- trees cut and prepared for use in making things; lumber or timber
- something made of wood; specif.,
- a cask or other wooden container for alcoholic liquor: whiskey aged in wood
- woodwind instruments, collectively
- Golf any of a set of numbered clubs, originally with wooden heads, having various lofts: the is usually called a driver (); the , , and are used for long, medium, and short fairway shots, respectively
Origin: Middle English wode ; from Old English wudu, earlier widu, akin to Old High German wito ; from Indo-European base an unverified form widhu-, tree from source Old Irish fid, Welsh gwŷdd, tree, forest
- made of wood; wooden
- for cutting, shaping, or holding wood
- growing or living in woods
- to plant or cover thickly with trees
- to furnish with wood, esp. for fuel
- out of one's mind; insane
- violently angry; enraged
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English wod, akin to German wut, rage: see Woden
- Wood, Grant 1892-1942; U.S. painter
- Wood, Leonard 1860-1927; U.S. general & political administrator
wood definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The secondary xylem of trees and shrubs, lying beneath the bark and consisting largely of cellulose and lignin.b. This tissue, often cut and dried especially for use as building material and fuel.
- a. A dense growth of trees or underbrush covering a relatively small or confined area. Often used in the plural.b. A forest. Often used in the plural.
- An object made of wood, especially:a. Music A woodwind.b. Sports Any of a series of golf clubs used to hit long shots, having a bulbous head made chiefly of wood, metal, or graphite, and numbered one to five in order of increasing loft.
- To fuel with wood.
- To cover with trees; forest.
- Made or consisting of wood; wooden.
- Used or suitable for cutting, storing, or working with wood.
- woods Living, growing, or present in forests: woods animals; a woods path.
Origin: Middle English wode, from Old English wudu.
Origin: Middle English, from Old English wōd; see wet-1 in Indo-European roots.
, Grant 1892-1942.
, Leonard 1860-1927.
wood - Ologies & -Isms Definition
wood - Phrases/Idioms
out of the woodsâ
out of the woods
wood - Science Definition
- woody woody adjective