- compar. of good
- of a more excellent sort; surpassing another or others
- more suitable, more desirable, more favorable, more profitable, etc.
- being more than half; larger: it cost the better part of her pay
- improved in health or disposition
Origin of betterMiddle English bettere, betere from Old English betera: see best
- compar. of well
- in a more excellent manner; in a more suitable way
- in a higher degree; to a greater extent
- more: it took better than an hour
- Informal had better (see phrase below): you better behave yourself
- a person superior in authority, position, etc.: obey your betters
- the thing, condition, circumstance, action, etc. that is more excellent, more suitable, etc.
- advantage: to get the better of a rival
- to outdo; surpass
- to make better; improve
- in a better situation or condition
- having more income, wealth, etc.
for the better
get the better of
- to outdo
- to outwit