A blackbird in the snow.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- any of various passerine birds (family Icteridae) of the New World, the males having almost entirely black plumage, as the red-winged blackbird or the grackle
- a common European thrush (Turdus merula)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of various New World birds of the family Icteridae, such as the grackle or red-winged blackbird, the male of which has black or predominantly black plumage.
- An Old World songbird (Turdus merula), the male of which is black with a yellow bill. Also called merle1.
- Australian A South Sea Islander kidnapped and sold into slavery in Australia; a Kanaka.