- The definition of predatory is living by harming, robbing or hunting others.
- Lenders that try to trick the poor into taking bad loans are an example of predatory lenders.
- A hawk is an example of a predatory bird.
- of, living by, or characterized by plundering, robbing, or exploiting others
- living by capturing and feeding upon other animals; predacious
Origin: L praedatorius from praeda, prey
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Living by preying on other organisms: a predatory mammal; a predatory insect.
- a. Of, relating to, or characterized by plundering, pillaging, or marauding.b. Living by or given to exploiting or destroying others for one's own gain.
Origin: Latin praedātōrius, plundering, from praedārī, to plunder, from praeda, booty; see ghend- in Indo-European roots.
- predˌa·toˈri·ly adverb
- predˈa·toˌri·ness noun