- Lenders that try to trick the poor into taking bad loans are an example of predatory lenders.
- A hawk is an example of a predatory bird.
The definition of predatory is living by harming, robbing or hunting others.
- of, living by, or characterized by plundering, robbing, or ruthlessly exploiting others
- living by capturing and feeding upon other animals; predacious
Origin of predatoryClassical Latin praedatorius from praeda, prey
- Living or characterized by preying on other animals: a predatory insect; predatory instincts.
- a. Living or characterized by plundering, pillaging, or marauding.b. Living or characterized by the exploitation of others for personal gain: predatory business practices.
Origin of predatoryLatin praedātōrius plundering from praedārī to plunder from praeda booty ; see ghend- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more predatory, superlative most predatory)
From Latin praedatorius.