- Predation is the act of plundering, or the act of catching prey to live.
An example of predation is an animal eyeing its next kill for supper.
- the act of plundering or preying
- the method of existence of predatory animals
Origin: L praedatio from praedatus, past participle of praedari, to plunder from praeda, prey
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The act or practice of plundering or marauding.
- The capturing of prey as a means of maintaining life.
Origin: Middle English predacion, from Latin praedātiō, praedātiōn-, from praedātus, past participle of praedārī, to plunder; see predatory.