- Predation is the act of plundering, or the act of catching prey to live.
An example of predation is an animal eyeing its next kill for supper.
predation definition by Webster's New World
- the act of plundering or preying
- the method of existence of predatory animals
Origin: Classical Latin praedatio ; from praedatus, past participle of praedari, to plunder ; from praeda, prey
predation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or practice of plundering or marauding.
- The capturing of prey as a means of maintaining life.
Origin: Middle English predacion, from Latin praedātiō, praedātiōn-, from praedātus, past participle of praedārī, to plunder; see predatory.