- The definition of ferocious is something very fierce, cruel, extreme or violent.
When you are so hungry you could eat a horse, this is an example of a time when you might be described as having a ferocious appetite.
A ferocious dog.
- fierce; savage; violently cruel
- Informal very great: a ferocious appetite
Origin of ferocious; from Classical Latin ferox (gen. ferocis), wild, untamed ; from ferus, fierce + base akin to oculus, eye + -ous
- a. Extremely aggressive or violent: a ferocious attack dog.b. Characterized by or showing extreme aggressiveness or violence: a ferocious glare; ferocious claws.
- Extremely powerful or destructive: a ferocious gale.
- Extreme in activity or feeling; intense: a ferocious demand for a product; ferocious courage.
Origin of ferociousFrom Latin ferōx, ferōc-, fierce; see ghwer- in Indo-European roots.
- fe·roc′i·ty , fe·ro′cious·ness
(comparative more ferocious, superlative most ferocious)
From Latin ferox (“wild, bold, savage, fierce”), from ferus (“wild, savage, fierce”).