- The definition of ferocious is something very fierce, cruel, extreme or violent.
When you are so hungry you could eat a horse, this is an example of a time when you might be described as having a ferocious appetite.
A ferocious dog.
ferocious definition by Webster's New World
- fierce; savage; violently cruel
- Informal very great: a ferocious appetite
Origin: ; from Classical Latin ferox (gen. ferocis), wild, untamed ; from ferus, fierce plush base akin to oculus, eye plush -ous
ferocious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Extremely savage; fierce. See Synonyms at cruel.
- Marked by unrelenting intensity; extreme: ferocious heat.
Origin: From Latin ferōx, ferōc-, fierce; see ghwer- in Indo-European roots.
- fe·roˈcious·ly adverb
- fe·roˈcious·ness noun