- The definition of barbaric is something that is primitive or uncivilized.
Eating an entire meal with your hands is an example of barbaric manners.
- of, like, or characteristic of barbarians; uncivilized; primitive
- wild, crude, and unrestrained
Origin of barbaricMiddle English barbarik ; from Classical Latin barbaricus ; from Classical Greek barbarikos: see barbarous
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of barbarians.
- Marked by crudeness or lack of sophistication: “The public display of this distasteful object was barbaric” (P.D. James).
- Brutal or cruel: a barbaric tyrant.
Origin of barbaricLatin barbaricus, from Greek barbarikos, from barbaros, foreign.
(comparative more barbaric, superlative most barbaric)
From Ancient Greek βαρβαρικός (barbarikos, “foreign, strange”)