- A primitive, less advanced, or simplistic ethos or societal condition; barbarism.
- Some postulate that after a nuclear war, humanity would fall into a state of barbarianism.
- Behaviour appropriate to a barbarian, that is uncivilized, brutal, or crude.
- The teacher accused the bullies of barbarianism when she caught them taunting the girl in a wheelchair.
Variant of barbarian
- Obsolete an alien or foreigner: in the ancient world applied esp. to non-Greeks, non-Romans, or non-Christians
- a member of a people or group with a civilization regarded as primitive, savage, etc.
- a person who lacks culture
- a coarse or unmannerly person; boor
- a savage, cruel person; brute
Origin of barbarian; from Classical Latin barbarus, barbarous
of or like a barbarian; esp.,
- uncivilized; crude
- cruel; barbarous