- The definition of barbarian is someone or something lacking in social graces, education, and/or culture.
A country whose people are wild and primitive is an example of a barbarian country.
- Barbarian is defined as a person who is savage and crude.
A cannibal is an example of a barbarian.
barbarian definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete an alien or foreigner: in the ancient world applied esp. to non-Greeks, non-Romans, or non-Christians
- a member of a people or group with a civilization regarded as primitive, savage, etc.
- a person who lacks culture
- a coarse or unmannerly person; boor
- a savage, cruel person; brute
Origin: ; from Classical Latin barbarus, barbarous
- uncivilized; crude
- cruel; barbarous
- barbarianism noun
barbarian definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A member of a people considered by those of another nation or group to have a primitive civilization.
- A fierce, brutal, or cruel person.
- An insensitive, uncultured person; a boor. See Synonyms at boor.
Origin: French barbarien, from barbare, barbarous, from Latin barbarus; see barbarous.
- bar·barˈi·an adjective
- bar·barˈi·an·ism noun