- any of the prehistoric people who lived in caves; cave man
- a person who chooses to live alone in seclusion; recluse
- anyone who lives in a primitive or degenerate fashion
- an anthropoid ape
Origin: L troglodyta from Glassical Greek trōglodytēs, one who creeps into holes, cave dweller from trōglē, a hole, cave (from trōgein, to gnaw from Indo-European an unverified form trōg- from base an unverified form ter-, to rub, grind from source throw) plush dyein, to creep in, enter
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. A member of a fabulous or prehistoric race of people that lived in caves, dens, or holes.b. A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish.
- a. An anthropoid ape, such as a gorilla or chimpanzee.b. An animal that lives underground, as an ant or a worm.
Origin: From Latin Trōglodytae, a people said to be cave dwellers, from Greek Trōglodutai, alteration (influenced by trōglē, hole, and -dutai, those who enter) of Trōgodutai.
- trogˌlo·dytˈic , trogˌlo·dytˈi·cal adjective