- The definition of a wren is a small songbird with a long bill and short wings.
A small brown bird that tweets a beautiful song and has short wings is an example of a wren.
wren definition by Webster's New World
- any of a large family (Troglodytidae) of small, insect-eating passerine birds having a long bill, rounded wings, and a stubby, erect tail; esp., the (Troglodytes aedon), that often nests in birdhouses in North America
- any of certain other passerine birds of various families
Origin: Middle English wrenne ; from Old English wrenna, probably akin to Old High German rentilo, Old Norse rindill
wren definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Any of various small brownish songbirds of the family Troglodytidae, having rounded wings, a slender bill, and a short, often erect tail.
- Any of various similar unrelated songbirds.
Origin: Middle English wrenne, from Old English wrenna.
, Sir Christopher 1632-1723.