- a sudden, sharp twist or pull
- an injury caused by a twist or jerk, as to the back, a joint, etc.
- a sudden feeling of grief, anguish, etc., as at parting with someone
- any of a number of tools used for holding and turning nuts, bolts, pipes, etc.
- a false or strained interpretation of an original meaning
Origin of wrenchMiddle English from Old English wrenc, a trick, deceit; akin to German ränke, a bend, twist from Indo-European an unverified form wreng- from base an unverified form wer-, to twist, turn from source worm
- to twist, pull, or jerk suddenly and violently
- to injure (a part of the body) with a twist or wrench
- to distort, strain, or give a false interpretation of (a meaning, statement, etc.)