To start this lawnmower you need to yank on this cord.
- The definition of a Yank is a Yankee meaning someone from the north of the U.S., from the northeast U.S. or sometimes just from the U.S.
An example of a Yank is someone fighting for the north during the Civil War.
- To yank is defined as to pull sharply or jerk.
- An example of yank is to pull the cord to start a lawnmower.
- An example of yank is to suddenly take a goalie out of the soccer game.
Origin of yank; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
verbyanked, yank·ing, yanks
- To pull with a quick, strong movement; jerk: yanked the emergency cord.
- Informal To extract or remove abruptly: yanked the starting pitcher early in the game.
Origin of yankOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present yanks, present participle yanking, simple past and past participle yanked)
Attested since 1822 CE; from Scots. Unknown origin.