- The definition of a hermit is a person who keeps to himself and who doesn't like to leave his home or see people.
An old man who stays locked in his house all day and who gets mad when people try to come and visit is an example of a hermit.
- a person who lives alone in a lonely or secluded spot, often from religious motives; recluse
- ☆ a spiced cookie made with nuts and raisins
Origin of hermitMiddle English hermite ; from Old French ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin eremita ; from Late Greek erēmitēs, a hermit ; from Classical Greek of the desert ; from erēmos, desolate ; from Indo-European base an unverified form er-, loose, distant, to separate from source Sanskrit an unverified form árma- (pl.), fragments, ruins
- A person who has withdrawn from society and lives a solitary existence; a recluse.
- A cookie made with molasses, raisins, and nuts.
Origin of hermitMiddle English heremite, from Old French, from Medieval Latin herēmīta, from Late Latin erēmīta, from Greek erēmītēs, from erēmiā, desert, from erēmos, solitary.
- her·mit′ic, her·mit′i·cal