- Anthony is a first name that can be given to males, or a surname.
An example of the shortening of the name Anthony is Tony.
- Anthony can be defined as the last name of U.S. suffragist Susan Brownell Anthony who organized the National Woman Suffrage Association.
An example of someone who worked closely with Susan Brownell Anthony for the same cause was Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
- The definition of Anthony can refer to St. Anthony who was an Egyptian hermit.
An example of an accomplishment of St. Anthony was the founding of monasticism.
Origin of Anthonywith unhistoric -h- ; from Classical Latin Antonius, name of a Roman gens
- Anthony, Saint ( 251?-356?); Egypt. hermit: founder of Christian monasticism: his day is Jan. 17: called the Great
- Anthony, Saint (1195-1231); Franciscan friar in France & Italy, born in Portugal: his day is June 13also called Saint Anthony of Padua
- Anthony, Susan B(rownell) 1820-1906; U.S. leader in the movement for women's suffrage
, Saint AD 251?–356?