- The definition of barbarous is something that is uncivilized or crude.
Killing people for no reason is an example of a barbarous act.
barbarous definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete foreign or alien; in the ancient world, non-Greek, non-Roman, or non-Christian
- characterized by substandard usages in speaking or writing
- characteristic of barbarians; primitive or lacking in civilization
- uncultured, crude, coarse, rough, etc.
- cruel; brutal
- harsh in sound; raucous
Origin: Classical Latin barbarus ; from Classical Greek barbaros, foreign, strange, ignorant ; from Indo-European echoic base an unverified form barbar-, used for unintelligible speech of foreigners from source Sanskrit barbara-, stammering, non-Aryan
barbarous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Primitive in culture and customs; uncivilized.
- Lacking refinement or culture; coarse.
- Characterized by savagery; very cruel. See Synonyms at cruel.
- Marked by the use or occurrence of barbarisms in spoken or written language.
Origin: From Latin barbarus, from Greek barbaros, non-Greek, foreign; see barbarism.
- barˈba·rous·ly adverb
- barˈba·rous·ness noun