- The definition of extortionate is a price that is much too high, or the act of using threats or power to behave unfairly.
When there is a milk shortage and farmers capitalize on it by raising the price of milk to $10.00, this is an example of pricing that would be described as extortionate.
extortionate definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- characterized by, or having the nature of, extortionalso extortionary
- excessive; exorbitant: an extortionate price
extortionate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Characterized by extortion.
- Exorbitant; immoderate: extortionate interest rates.
- ex·torˈtion·ate·ly adverb