Origin of trophicClassical Greek trophikos from troph?, food from trephein, to feed from Indo-European base an unverified form dherebh-, to coagulate from source Classical Greek thrombos, a clot
- Of or relating to nutrition.
- Ecology Of or involving the feeding habits or relationships of different organisms in a food chain or food web.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by a specified kind of nutrition or sustenance: auxotrophic.
- Maintaining the function of or regulating a specified gland or type of tissue: gonadotrophic.
Origin of -trophicFrom trophic Sense 2, influenced by -tropic
From Ancient Greek Ï„ÏÎ¿Ï†Î¹ÎºÏŒÏ‚ (trophikos, “pertaining to food or nourishment"), from Ï„ÏÎ¿Ï†Î® (trophÄ“, “food").
- Used to form adjectives corresponding to nouns ending in -trophy