The definition of a leader is a person, animal or thing that guides or directs.noun
- An example of leader is a captain of a baseball team.
- An example of leader is the first dog in a dog sled team.
- a person or thing that leads; directing, commanding, or guiding head, as of a group or activity
- a horse harnessed before all others in the same hitch or as one of the two horses in the foremost span
- a pipe for carrying fluid; specif.,
- a hot-air duct in a heating system
- a tendon
- a section of blank film or recording tape at the beginning of a reel, for use in threading, etc.
- ☆ a featured article of trade, esp. one offered at an attractively low price
- Bot. the central or dominant stem of a plant, esp. of a tree
- ☆ Fishing a short piece of catgut, nylon, etc. used to attach the hook or lure to the fish line
- Journalism leading article
- a conductor, esp. of a dance band
- the main performer in an instrumental or vocal section, generally given the solo passages
- Naut. fair-lead
- Printing dots, dashes, etc. in a line, used to direct the eye across the page, as in a table of contents
- leaderless adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- One that leads or guides.
- One who is in charge or in command of others.
- a. One who heads a political party or organization.b. One who has influence or power, especially of a political nature.
- Music a. A conductor, especially of orchestra, band, or choral group.b. The principal performer in an orchestral section or a group.
- The foremost animal, such as a horse or dog, in a harnessed team.
- A loss leader.
- Chiefly British The main editorial in a newspaper.
- leaders Printing Dots or dashes in a row leading the eye across a page, as in an index entry.
- A pipe for conducting liquid.
- A short length of gut, wire, or similar material by which a hook is attached to a fishing line.
- A blank strip at the end or beginning of a film or tape used in threading or winding.
- Botany The growing apex or main shoot of a shrub or tree.
- An economic indicator.
leader - Business Definition
- A company or product that is one of the most important in its market. For example, Toyota is a leader in vehicle manufacturing.
- An active stock that tends to lead the general market in price movements. For example, strength and activity may have made a stock a leader in a recent upward market movement.
leader - Computer Definition
(1) A length of unrecorded tape used to thread the tape onto the tape drive.
(2) A line of dots or dashes used to draw the eye across the printed page, such as in a table of contents.
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.