- a failure
- a slight fault or defect; weakness
without; lacking: failing a good voter turnout, our candidate will lose
- The act of a person or thing that fails; a failure.
- A minor fault.
Undergoing failure: failing health; failing kidneys; a failing business.
In the absence of; without: Failing new evidence, the case will surely be lost.
- Present participle of fail.
- if the preferred or prior option is not possible
- A large proportion of the females employed in other firms are said to have signified their intention of going on strike, failing a settlement.