- to fail in (schoolwork): to flunk a science examination
- to give a mark of failure to (a student)
Origin of flunk19th-c. college slang ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps funk or echoic
- to fail, esp. in schoolwork
- to give up; retreat
- a failure
- a mark or grade of failure
verbflunked, flunk·ing, flunks
- a. To fail (an examination or course).b. To give a failing grade to (a student).
- To fail (a drug test, as for a performance enhancing substance).
- A failure.
- A failing grade.
Origin of flunkOrigin unknown.
(third-person singular simple present flunks, present participle flunking, simple past and past participle flunked)