- The definition of a bomb is something that has the potential to explode.
An example of a bomb is a stick of dynamite with a timer set to ignite it.
- Bomb means to attack or destroy with explosives.
An example of bomb is the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941.
- Bomb means to fail.
An example of bomb is for a stand up comedian to fail on stage and getting booed off stage.
One type of bomb is this air to surface missile.
bomb definition by Webster's New World
- a container filled with an explosive, incendiary, or other chemical for dropping or hurling, or for detonating by a timing mechanism
- bombshell (sense )
- a small container with compressed gas in it: an aerosol bomb
- a heavily shielded apparatus with radioactive material in it, used in radiotherapy: a cobalt bomb
- ☆ Informal a complete failure: said esp. of a theatrical performance
- Geol. a mass of lava, usually globular, ejected from a volcano by explosion
- Football, Slang a long forward pass
Origin: French bombe ; from Italian bomba; probably ; from Classical Latin bombus, a buzzing ; from Classical Greek bombos, deep and hollow sound: origin, originally echoic
bomb definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. An explosive weapon detonated by impact, proximity to an object, a timing mechanism, or other means.b. An atomic or nuclear bomb. Used with the.
- Any of various weapons detonated to release destructive material, such as smoke or gas.
- Football A long forward pass.
- a. A container capable of withstanding high internal pressure.b. A vessel for storing compressed gas.c. A portable, manually operated container that ejects a spray, foam, or gas under pressure.
- Slang A dismal failure; a fiasco.
- Slang An old car.
- Slang One that is excellent or superior. Used with the.
- Chiefly British Slang a. A large amount of money.b. A great success.
- To drop a bomb or bombs.
- Slang To fail miserably: The play bombed.
- Slang To paint a graffito.
Origin: French bombe, from Italian bomba, probably from Latin bombus, a booming sound, from Greek bombos, of imitative origin.
bomb - Computer Definition
bomb - Phrases/Idioms
- atomic bomb
- any nuclear weapon
- nuclear weapons collectively