- The definition of a projectile is something that is propelled through great force.
When a toddler violently throws up and vomits all over the room, this is an example of projectile vomit.
- A projectile is defined as something that is propelled or shot through the air, or a special type of missile that is fired from a gun or rocket.
- A paper airplane flying through the air is an example of a projectile.
- An example of a projectile is a missile that you put into a rocket and fire at your enemies.
projectile definition by Webster's New World
- an object designed to be hurled or shot forward, as a cannon shell or rocket
- anything thrown forward
Origin: French ; from Classical Latin projectus: see project and amp; -ile
- designed to be hurled forward, as a javelin
- hurling forward: projectile force
- Zool. that can be thrust out, as a tentacle
projectile definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A fired, thrown, or otherwise propelled object, such as a bullet, having no capacity for self-propulsion.
- A self-propelled missile, such as a rocket.
- Capable of being impelled or hurled forward.
- Driving forward; impelling: a projectile force.
- Zoology Capable of being thrust outward; protrusile.
Origin: New Latin proiectile, neuter of prōiectilis, that can be thrown, from Latin prōiectus, past participle of prōicere, to throw out; see project .