Lemon yellow lemons.
- The definition of a lemon is a yellow color, a small and yellow egg-shaped citrus fruit, or is slang for a poorly-made article that is defective.
- An example of lemon as a color is a yellow flower.
- An example of a lemon is the source of the citrus juice in a gin fizz cocktail.
- An example of lemon is a car that never runs correctly even after being fixed repeatedly.
- a small, egg-shaped, edible citrus fruit with a yellow rind and a juicy, sour pulp, rich in ascorbic acid
- the small, spiny, semitropical evergreen citrus tree (Citrus limon) bearing this fruit
- pale yellow
- ☆ Slang
- something, esp. a manufactured article, that is defective or imperfect
- an inadequate person
Origin of lemonMiddle English lymon ; from Middle French limon ; from Arabic laimūn ; from Persian līmūn
- having the color of a lemon; pale to bright yellow
- made with or from lemons
- having a flavor more or less like that of lemons
- a. A spiny evergreen tree (Citrus limon) native to Asia, widely cultivated for its oval yellow fruit.b. The fruit of this tree, having an aromatic rind and juicy, acid pulp.
- Lemon yellow.
- Informal One that is unsatisfactory or defective: Their new car turned out to be a lemon.
- a. Made from lemons.b. Tasting or smelling like lemons.
Origin of lemonMiddle English limon, from Old French, from Old Italian limone, from Arabic laymūn, ultimately from alteration (probably influenced by an Andalusian Romance augmentative suffix akin to Spanish -ón) of Persian līmū, lemon, any of various citrus fruits; see lime.
- A surname.
lemon - Investment & Finance Definition
- A used car that develops numerous mechanical problems shortly after being purchased. Some states have lemon laws to protect consumers from these and other similar purchases.
- An investment that performs poorly.