- The definition of a lemon is a yellow color, a small and yellow egg-shaped citrus fruit, or is slang for a poorly-made article that is defective.
- An example of lemon as a color is a yellow flower.
- An example of a lemon is the source of the citrus juice in a gin fizz cocktail.
- An example of lemon is a car that never runs correctly even after being fixed repeatedly.
Lemon yellow lemons.
lemon definition by Webster's New World
- a small, egg-shaped, edible citrus fruit with a yellow rind and a juicy, sour pulp, rich in ascorbic acid
- the small, spiny, semitropical evergreen citrus tree (Citrus limon) bearing this fruit
- pale yellow
- ☆ Slang
- something, esp. a manufactured article, that is defective or imperfect
- an inadequate person
Origin: Middle English lymon ; from Middle French limon ; from Arabic laimūn ; from Persian līmūn
- having the color of a lemon; pale to bright yellow
- made with or from lemons
- having a flavor more or less like that of lemons
- lemony adjective
lemon definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A spiny, Asian evergreen tree (Citrus limon) widely cultivated for its yellow, egg-shaped fruit.b. The fruit of this tree, having a yellow aromatic rind and juicy, acid pulp.
- Lemon yellow.
- Informal One that is unsatisfactory or defective: Their new car turned out to be a lemon.
- a. Made from lemons.b. Tasting or smelling like lemons.
Origin: Middle English limon, from Old French, from Old Italian limone, from Arabic laymūn, līmūn, from Persian līmūn.
- lemˈon·y adjective
lemon - Business Definition
lemon - Investment & Finance Definition
- A used car that develops numerous mechanical problems shortly after being purchased. Some states have lemon laws to protect consumers from these and other similar purchases.
- An investment that performs poorly.