Lemon yellow lemons.
- An example of lemon as a color is a yellow flower.
- An example of a lemon is the source of the citrus juice in a gin fizz cocktail.
- An example of lemon is a car that never runs correctly even after being fixed repeatedly.
The definition of a lemon is a yellow color, a small and yellow egg-shaped citrus fruit, or is slang for a poorly-made article that is defective.
- a small, egg-shaped, edible citrus fruit with a yellow rind and a juicy, sour pulp, rich in ascorbic acid
- the small, spiny, semitropical evergreen citrus tree (Citrus limon) bearing this fruit
- any of various shades of yellow; specif.,also lemon yellow
- pale yellow
- bright yellow
- greenish yellow
- something, esp. a manufactured article, that is defective or imperfect
- an inadequate person
Origin of lemonMiddle English lymon from Middle French limon from Arabic laim?n from Persian l?m?n
- having the color of a lemon; pale to bright yellow
- made with or from lemons
- having a flavor more or less like that of lemons
- a. A spiny evergreen tree (Citrus limon) native to Asia, widely cultivated for its oval yellow fruit.b. The fruit of this tree, having an aromatic rind and juicy, acid pulp.
- Lemon yellow.
- Informal One that is unsatisfactory or defective: Their new car turned out to be a lemon.
- a. Made from lemons.b. Tasting or smelling like lemons.
Origin of lemonMiddle English limon from Old French from Old Italian limone from Arabic laymūn ultimately from alteration ( probably influenced by an Andalusian Romance augmentative suffix akin to Spanish -ón ) of Persian līmū lemon, any of various citrus fruits ; see lime .
- A surname.
lemon - Investment & Finance Definition
- A used car that develops numerous mechanical problems shortly after being purchased. Some states have lemon laws to protect consumers from these and other similar purchases.
- An investment that performs poorly.