The definition of nuclear is relating to the nucleus of a cell, or relating to atomic or hydrogen bombs.adjective
- An example of nuclear used as an adjective is the phrase "nuclear energy" which means energy that comes from the nucleus of a cell.
- An example of nuclear used as an adjective is the phrase "nuclear bomb" which means an atomic bomb.
- of, like or forming a nucleus
- of or relating to atomic nuclei: nuclear energy
- of, characterized by, or operated by the use of nuclear energy: nuclear weapons
- of, having, or involving nuclear weapons: nuclear warfare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Biology Of, relating to, or forming a nucleus: a nuclear membrane.
- Physics Of or relating to atomic nuclei: a nuclear chain reaction.
- Using or derived from the energy of atomic nuclei: nuclear power.
- Of, using, or possessing atomic or hydrogen bombs: nuclear war; nuclear nations.
Origin: From nucleus.Usage Note: The pronunciation (no͞oˈkyə-lər), which is generally considered incorrect, is an example of how a familiar phonological pattern can influence an unfamiliar one. The usual pronunciation of the final two syllables of this word is (-klē-ər), but this sequence of sounds is rare in English. Much more common is the similar sequence (-kyə-lər), which occurs in words like particular, circular, spectacular, and in many scientific words like molecular, ocular, and vascular.
nuclear - Medical Definition
- Of or forming a nucleus.
- Of or relating to atomic nuclei.
nuclear - Science Definition
- Relating to or forming a cell nucleus.
- Relating to atomic nuclei.
- Using energy derived from the nuclei of atoms through fission or fusion reactions.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.