- The sight of a huge, destructive tornado is an example of something that is awesome.
- A play that you really like is awesome.
- inspiring awe
- Now Rare showing awe
- Slang wonderful; impressive; excellent
Origin of awesomeawe + -some
- Inspiring awe: an awesome thunderstorm.
- Expressing awe: stood in awesome silence before the ancient ruins.
- Slang Remarkable; outstanding: “a totally awesome arcade game” (Los Angeles Times).
(comparative more awesome, superlative most awesome)
The oldest meaning of "awesome" is "something which inspires awe", but the word is also a common slang expression in English, originally from America. As the original meaning of awesome has become somewhat antiquated in general use, the term awe-inspiring is now generally used for the same meaning.
Early Modern English 1590-1600, from awe + -some. Compare Old English eġeful (“fearful, inspiring awe”).