- The definition of uncanny refers to something odd, mysterious or unexpected that makes you feel uneasy.
An example of uncanny is when someone looks almost exactly like your spouse.
uncanny definition by Webster's New World
- mysterious or unfamiliar, esp. in such a way as to frighten or make uneasy; preternaturally strange; eerie; weird
- so remarkable, acute, etc. as to seem preternatural: uncanny shrewdness
Origin: see un- and amp; canny
uncanny definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective un·can·ni·er, un·can·ni·est
- Peculiarly unsettling, as if of supernatural origin or nature; eerie. See Synonyms at weird.
- So keen and perceptive as to seem preternatural.
Origin: un-1 + canny, fortunate, safe (obsolete).
- un·canˈni·ly adverb
- un·canˈni·ness noun