- The definition of eerie is someone or something that is mysterious, frightening, spooky and creepy.
An example of eerie is a dark and deserted house.
An eerie forest.
- Now Rare timid or frightened; uneasy because of superstitious fear
- mysterious, uncanny, or weird, esp. in such a way as to frighten or disturb
Origin of eerienorthern Eng dial and amp; Scottish ; from Middle English eri, filled with dread, probably variant, variety of erg, cowardly, timid ; from Old English earg, akin to German arg, bad, wicked: for Indo-European base see orchestra
- Inspiring inexplicable fear, dread, or uneasiness; strange and frightening. See Synonyms at weird.
- Scots Frightened or intimidated by superstition.
Origin of eerieMiddle English eri, fearful, from Old English earg, cowardly.
(comparative eerier, superlative eeriest)