- The definition of supernatural is extraordinary or is something associated with forces we don't understand or that cannot be explained by science.
- The existence of ghosts is something that would be described as supernatural.
- When someone is very very strong and can lift up a car, this is an example of a person who would be described as having supernatural strength.
- The supernatural is defined as events or things that cannot be explained by nature or science and that are assumed to come from beyond or to originate from otherworldly forces.
Ghosts and witches are an example of the supernatural.
- existing or occurring outside the normal experience or knowledge of man; not explainable by the known forces or laws of nature; specif., of, involving, or attributed to God or a god
- of, involving, or attributed to ghosts, spirits, the occult, etc.
- exceeding normal bounds; extreme: skating with supernatural grace
Origin of supernaturalMedieval Latin supernaturalis: see super- and amp; natural
- Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
- Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
- Of or relating to a deity.
- Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
- Of or relating to the miraculous.
(comparative more supernatural, superlative most supernatural)
- Above nature; that which is beyond or added to nature, often so considered because it is given by a deity or some force beyond that which humans are born with. In Roman Catholic theology, sanctifying grace is considered to be a supernatural addition to human nature.
- Not of the usual; not natural; altered by forces that are not understood fully if at all.
- Neither visible nor measurable.
- (countable) A supernatural being.
- (uncountable) Supernatural beings and events collectively. (When used with definite article: "the supernatural".)
From Latin supernaturalis, from super (“above") + natura (“nature; that which we are born with"), from natus (“born"), perfect passive participle of nasci (“to be born") + adjective suffix -alis.