- An example of a fetish is a hand carved token which has been blessed by a spiritual leader.
- An example of a fetish is when you really, really like shoes just a little bit too much.
- An example of a fetish is when you are sexually aroused by toes.
- any object believed by some person or group to have magic power
- any thing or activity to which one is excessively or irrationally devoted: to make a fetish of sports
- an habitual sexual response by a person to any object (as a glove) or body part (as the foot) not conventionally regarded as erotic
- the object, body part, etc. eliciting such a response
Origin of fetishFrench fétiche ; from Portuguese feitiço, a charm, sorcery; origin, originally adjective ; from Classical Latin facticius, made by art, factitious
- An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices.
- An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence: made a fetish of punctuality.
- Something, such as a material object or nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.
- An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.
Origin of fetishFrench fétiche, from Portuguese feitiço, artificial, charm, from Latin fact&imacron;cius, artificial; see factitious.
a Native American bear fetish, believed to have spiritual powers
- Something which is believed to possess, contain, or cause spiritual or magical powers; an amulet or a talisman. [from the early 17th c.]
- Something sexual or nonsexual, such as an object or a part of the body, which arouses sexual desire or is necessary for one to reach full sexual satisfaction. [from the early 19th c.]
- I know a guy who has a foot fetish.
- (US) An irrational, or abnormal fixation or preoccupation. [from the 19th c.]