- The definition of a fetish is an object which is believed to have magical powers, something you are overly interested in or a desire for a type of sexual behavior not considered mainstream.
- An example of a fetish is a hand carved token which has been blessed by a spiritual leader.
- An example of a fetish is when you really, really like shoes just a little bit too much.
- An example of a fetish is when you are sexually aroused by toes.
- any object believed by some person or group to have magic power
- any thing or activity to which one is irrationally devoted: to make a fetish of sports
- Psychiatry any nonsexual object, such as a foot or a glove, that abnormally excites erotic feelings
Origin: French fétiche ; from Portuguese feitiço, a charm, sorcery; origin, originally adjective ; from Classical Latin facticius, made by art, factitious
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- An object that is believed to have magical or spiritual powers, especially such an object associated with animistic or shamanistic religious practices.
- An object of unreasonably excessive attention or reverence: made a fetish of punctuality.
- Something, such as a material object or a nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.
- An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment; a fixation.
Origin: French fétiche, from Portuguese feitiço, artificial, charm, from Latin factīcius, artificial; see factitious.
fetish - Cultural Definition
fetish - Medical Definition
- Something, such as an object or nonsexual part of the body, that arouses sexual desire and may become necessary for sexual gratification.
- An abnormally obsessive preoccupation or attachment.