- a magic charm or fetish used by some West African peoples
- magic or sorcery associated with such peoples
Origin of jujuHausa, an evil spirit, fetish
Origin of jujuuncertain or unknown; perhaps after the sound of a tambourine used when playing the characteristic rhythm of this music
- An object used as a fetish, a charm, or an amulet in West Africa.
- The supernatural power ascribed to such an object.
Origin of jujuOf West African origin akin to the source of Hausa jūjū fetish, evil spirit
Origin of jujuYoruba jùjú
- A fetish or charm believed by West Africans to have magical or supernatural powers.
- The magical or supernatural power of such a charm.
- A superstitious belief in the karmic consequences of an action or behavior, usually negative in connotation.
- That's some bad juju.
- A type of music popular in Nigeria. (See Jùjú music)
From a West African language, probably originally from French joujou.
Reduplication of -ju- in marijuana.
- Alternative spelling of juju.