- The definition of an obsession is a focus on one thing with little interest in anything else.
An example of an obsession is a child wanting to talk only of trains.
- Obsession is defined as the act of letting a thought or action rule your thoughts or actions.
An example of an obsession is when a stalker continues to follow a person.
- the act of an evil spirit in possessing or ruling a person
- the fact or state of being obsessed with an idea, desire, emotion, etc.
- such a persistent idea, desire, emotion, etc., esp. one that cannot be gotten rid of by reasoning
Origin of obsessionClassical Latin obsessio
- Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
- A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.
(countable and uncountable, plural obsessions)