- Preoccupation is a state of being focused on and engrossed in something, or the thing that you are engrossed in.
- When you become obsessed with knitting, this is an example of a preoccupation with knitting.
- When you become obsessed with knitting, this is an example of when knitting is your new preoccupation.
preoccupation definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a preoccupying or being preoccupied, esp. mentally
- something, as an idea, which preoccupies one
Origin: Classical Latin praeoccupatio
preoccupation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The state of being preoccupied; absorption of the attention or intellect.
- Something that preoccupies or engrosses the mind: Money was their chief preoccupation.
- Occupation of a place in advance; preoccupancy.