- Immersion is defined as covering or submerging in something.
- An example of immersion is when someone is baptized by being completely dunked under water.
- An example of immersion is when you become completely absorbed in a book and don't look up from reading or pay attention to anything else.
- An example of immersion is when you want to learn Spanish and you go to a special school for a month where only Spanish is spoken.
- an immersing or being immersed
- baptism by immersing
- Astron., Now Rare occultation or eclipse
Origin of immersionEcclesiastical Late Latin immersio
- a. The act or an instance of immersing.b. The condition of being immersed.
- Baptism performed by totally submerging a person in water.
- Astronomy The obscuring of a celestial body by another or by the shadow of another.
- the act of immersing or the condition of being immersed
- the total submerging of a person in water as an act of baptism
- (UK, Ireland, informal) an immersion heater
- (mathematics) a smooth map whose differential is everywhere injective, related to the mathematical concept of an embedding
- (astronomy) The disappearance of a celestial body, by passing either behind another, as in the occultation of a star, or into its shadow, as in the eclipse of a satellite; opposed to emersion.