The definition of immerse is to dip or put something completely into a liquid, or to totally absorb yourself in a particular activity.verb
- When you put a dish into a sink entirely full of sudsy water, this is an example of when you immerse the dish in the water.
- When you become very involved in reading a book, this is an example of a situation where you immerse yourself in a book.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb im·mersed, im·mers·ing, im·mers·es
- To cover completely in a liquid; submerge.
- To baptize by submerging in water.
- To engage wholly or deeply; absorb: scholars who immerse themselves in their subjects.
Origin: From Middle English immersed, embedded deeply, from Latin immersus, past participle of immergere, to immerse : in-, in; see in-2 + mergere, to dip.